Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wanted: Adult Decision Maker. Must Be Able To Start Immediately!

Life is about decisions. As you get older the stakes get higher and basically, shit gets real. As I am currently much closer to 30 than 20 I really miss the days that my decisions consisted of things like what classes I should register for next semester and whether I should spend Friday night working on my market analysis term paper or singing karaoke and drinking $2 beers at a dive in Fells Point. Guess which one usually won out. Ah, the good ol' days. Hell, as long as you dragged your semi-conscious ass into your classroom or to your part-time job at TGIFridays it made no difference how hungover you were. Life was way more forgiving back then. 

Now each decision carries so much weight and possible outcomes and consequences, it's shocking Starbucks hasn't added a Mocha-Xanax Latte to the menu. The endless possibilities can be enough to cripple some of us into refusing to deal with the situation all together; but eventually we all need to grow a pair and start acting like grown-ups. Shit. 

After a recent decision I made blew up in my face like Wyle E. Coyote holding onto a stick of Acme dynamite too long (this isn't a cliched metaphor, it actually happened just like that I promise) my husband offered some insight that softened the blow quite a bit. He said there are bad decisions and there are wrong decisions. 

Example: your rent is a week late and you decide to use all the money you made at your bartending job tonight to partake in two for one drinks with your degenerate drinking buddies. WRONG decision, friend. You were presented with two choices: A. go home, pay rent B. go drink, wake up with headache and empty wallet, don't pay rent. Nothing positive can happen as a result of choosing option B except a funny story about your friend throwing up in a planter outside the bar, which you will eventually realize is just plain sad. 

Second example: You are offered a job that seems like a fantastic opportunity. You leave your current job to pursue said opportunity. What seems like a great opportunity turns out to be a Category 5 disaster. Both new job and old job are completely destroyed. Taking the new job was a BAD decision. There was no way of knowing the outcome of each option. Either you stick with the old familiar job and are left wondering "what if?" or you pursue a new opportunity that could result in a positive and fulfilling experience. Turns out the second option was not a good decision. It sucks... a lot, but shit happens, right? 

Getting older and (hopefully) wiser means making significantly fewer "wrong" decisions. I don't think there is ever a time that you can avoid making "bad" decisions. I mean the kind of decisions that you don't know are bad until the whole scenario plays out. You are either rewarded with a positive outcome or you're left thinking, "Well, shit. That didn't go anything like I hoped it would." 

All that being said, I don't think I have an overall conclusion to draw from this experience except that it really fucking sucks when you make a bad decision! And if anyone has any ideas as to how they can be completely avoided and all decisions for the rest of my life can be good ones that result in a life full of awesomeness, PLEASE contact me ASAP!!

No comments:

Post a Comment